Saturday, February 11, 2012

The "Talk"

"Mom, did you know I have hair under my armpits?" (She proceeded to provide me with a visual.) This is how dinner started one night this week.

Not knowing how to respond, I said "Would anyone like butter on their biscuit?". Regardless of how educated you are, how many questions you have asked other mothers of girls, you are never ready. I spent that evening worrying about how I was going to tell her, what I was going to tell her, and when I was going to tell her. Fortunately, the following evening, I would have about 45 minutes in the car, just she and I.

There are two different types of people in this world; people who think this is a beautiful thing and an exciting time in a girl's life; and those who think, "that poor kid, she is about to experience, hair (that you shave off), cramping that makes you miserable, hormones that make you want to hurt people, and weight gain that you will forever fight." I am the latter of the two. But as a side note: I do enjoy a good episode of 'Snapped' on Oxygen when I have PMS.

The next day I call my mom who says, "Can you please video record this for me?" She offered no advice, just a little 'payback giggle'. I call my husband on my way to get her, expressing my anxiety, and he basically responds with "I don't want to talk about this. What do you want for dinner?" So I head to the book store, bought a book for her, and I sat in the parking lot of the store reading...reading about what does happen and how I can explain it to an 11 year old. Although I believe in being honest with your kids, I wasn't sure if the cynical approach was appropriate.

There really isn't a good segway when broaching such discussion, but I did it. I had the "talk" with my daughter. I do have a few friends of her to thank for "previewing" the subject, but I am glad she heard most of the details from me. Oh, and I am not sure who told her that you can be arrested for having sex, but thank you. :)

When we got home, my sweet husband had a drink waiting on me. (I likely requested it, but nonetheless it was there.) When Allie went upstairs to change, I explained to Chris that she knew we had an 'open door policy' if she had questions. I believe his exact response was "the hell we do!". I would like to think he was kidding, but I doubt it.

A couple days later I asked Allie if she had looked at the book and if she had any questions. She said she did and leaned in as if it was a private question. I braced myself only to be asked, "Mom, does your face really grow as you get older?"

I would not count this as a "bucket list", but I cannot tell you how thankful I am that it is off whatever list it is on.

2 comments: