Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Just Music"

After a minor (or major, it depends on who you ask) mental breakdown in the 6th grade, I attended 4 years of private school. I have to honestly say those were some of my favorite school years. Whether my memories include by BFF's Mary, Tia, and Nicole; receiving ISS for refusing to return to the paddle boat dock on our field trip to Stone Mountain; or receiving a lesson on "the burning bush" from the principal for screaming in the bathroom (*and denying it-please note that my friend Suzanne was giving him "the bird" throughout the entire lecture behind his desk). I loved every minute of my private school experience. With that being said, I will not forget the fact that many of my friends came to my house to listen to secular music because their parents did not allow them to listen to songs about drinking, smoking, etc. I remember thinking that was ridiculous and "it's just music".

Well, I wasn't thinking this is "just music" when Tucker had his first playdate this week. You see, Tucker's first playdate was with one of the sweetest, most innocent families in the entire world. He is one of 6 children, all of which are homeschooled, and have better manners than the employees at Chick-fil-a. After picking up 2 of the 6 children (one of the other children is Allie's best friend), we were headed back to our house when it happened...Red Solo Cup, by Toby Keith came on the radio. For those of you who are a bit classier than the Bowen's or do not listen to country music, please do yourself a favor and google the lyrics. I am fairly certain that when this song was written, it was not intended to be a 3 year old's favorite tune. It was like a dramatic slow motion movie when the very identifiable tune came on the radio. I tried my darndest (this was a made up word my mother used because she doesn't cuss a lot) to change the station, but it was too late. Not only did Tuck recognize the song, he asked for me to turn it up. Fantastic. I was caught between a 3 year old screaming tantrum in the presence of perfect children or just caving and letting it go. Well, like every MOTY, I just let it play. I let it play loud. Luckily it was the radio version and did not say "ass" or "testicles" like the version that my children know. The other important thing you should know is Tucker is only 3 and is not super articulate. When he does sing the I-tunes version, he cannot pronounce "testicles" and he has the most precious lisp, so "ass" sounds more like "ath". Anyway, there it was, my ah-ha moment. There in lies one of the reasons/examples as to why parents choose to protect their children from secular music.

Red Solo Cup continues to be a Bowen favorite; however from that playdate forward, I think I will stick to a children's CD when I am transporting other's children.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving this blog, Keeli! Keep it up!
    And I did Google the song, "Red Solo Cup", the first time you mentioned Tuck's love of the song. I promptly purchased it from iTunes and added it to my iPod!

    ReplyDelete